Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Interview with Alina Popescu

Having loved Alina's first Bad Blood book, I couldn't wait t get my hands on the second one. Which, I'm happy to report is just as good! Check out my review here

In celebration of the release of the second book of the series, The Breaking of Bonds, Alina accepted to answer some of my questions. Enjoy!  


1. You now have several titles available and a few more coming up. What do you find more rewarding when it comes to the writing business?
I have a few, yes, and several more are planned for this year. The most rewarding part? Getting to create this worlds, meeting their dwellers, and watching them as they go through their journeys. Some are funny, others are sad, almost all are complicated. I feel like I am part of so many different realms and I can never get bored. It sometimes comes with some demon purging of my own, at least that was the case for the Bad Blood trilogy. I guess the world should be thankful for that bit, one less crazy villain trying to take over the world. I am fondly called the Queen of Everything after all :D

2. What is the part you find more challenging about writing a book?
Well, there are some emotional parts that I know are coming and really don’t want to get into, but I have to soldier through them. The rule of the thumb is: if you’ve read a bit of my stories and they made you sad or you’ve downright cried, I probably cried a river. Also, there’s that bit when characters decide they want to go their own way and mess up my story. Luckily, that does not happen very often and when it does, they always are right.

3. Which is your favorite quote from The Breaking of Bonds?
It’s actually the one I’ve used in the teasers where Alexa share’s her opinion on love with Seth. It’s pretty much a depiction of my own thoughts on the matter, so it was really amazing to be able to voice it.

4. How did the idea for Bad Blood series appear?
I had been dabbling and trying to get a vampire story sorted out for a couple of years when the idea came to me. I was roller blading my way through one of my favorite parks in Bucharest, running in circles around the lake with loud music blaring in my ear buds. I took a break, sat on a bench for a bit. Thankfully I was wearing huge sun glasses so no one noticed I was crying. I just tried to put the feeling into words in my mind and it turned into this crazy inner rant about what had brought me to that place. It was what I saw as bad relationships, and that took a life of its own and spawned one of Alexa’s inner monologues right at the end of The Edge of Hope. The rest was easy, Malta was one of my moving plans, I was itching to go back to writing and I came up with Anthony as the first love interest for Alexa.
Originally, Anthony was going to be it. But let’s face it, things are rarely that easy, and Louis came out of nowhere. Things just spun out of control and I ended up with a trilogy :D

5. There are a lot of mythological beings. Why vampires?
Vampires are the first of the supernatural beings to fascinate me. Sure, myths go beyond that (winks at the Egyptian god names in the book), but of the paranormal ones, they were my first love. I did quite a bit of research on the myths at university and I’ve tried to read as many vampire books as I could over the years. I won’t even begin to talk about movies and series, I try not to miss any, unless they are straight up horrors.

6. I just finished The Breaking of Bonds and I can honestly say that I am waiting for the next book in the series. When can we expect it and what do you have in store for us?

The third and final part of this trilogy, The Fall of Darkness, will be released sometime in November. I don’t have a clear date for it, but it won’t be a very long wait.





If you enjoyed the interview, check out The Breaking of Bonds:


A human sacrifice throws vampires of two worlds, trueborn and baseborn, into an escalating conflict. One side pushes for revenge, the other for freedom. The trueborns stubbornly hunt for Anthony and Louis, pushed by Hesrah’s desire to avenge her human best friend, Alexa. The baseborns are divided between rallying with those challenging the rule of Ankhsis and obeying the trueborns.
What emerges from the portal between Earth and Ankhsis in the middle of the turmoil rocking both worlds is more dead than alive. Neither human, nor baseborn, and certainly not trueborn. This new being will either damn them all or be their race’s most powerful weapon. Will they trust it not to destroy them, or will Ankhsis decide putting it down is the only solution?
In the end, who is guilty? Who will pay? Will anyone survive its wrath?
Book Trailer
Buy Links:
Make sure you read book one of the series before enjoying book two!

No comments:

Post a Comment